Thursday, November 11, 2010

To:

poetry by Staci Eckenroth
Midnights dissolve into mid-mornings and
sleepless stumble. Through hours of fog,
driving down well-lit highways, they hope for
illusions that others are as forgotten in the blanketing
thick enough to blackout histories, like

memories of a boy’s body. Posed
in his casket while a girl in the corner steals
tissues and prayer cards, stuffing them in fistfuls
down her pockets. She keeps him as a reminder.

I ask, of what? She answers, of losing,
and fading scars from answers injected into

veins. My mother begs between inhales
of her cigarette, words hanging with smoke
trails: don’t ever do this to me.

But when sunlight spreads through maples, I
watch the sky move from black to purple to blue
like gradations of pixels. My grayscale eyes
knew these colors once, but now I only see cloud coverage

pushing the memory of his calloused fingertips
running over my hipbone from my mind. I still feel
the flutter of his eyelashes on my shoulder blade,
and goose bumps pimple across my skin
in waves of passion or loneliness

or misunderstanding. There was no note,
no one worth mentioning, but the sleepless
continue because we promised we would.




Staci Eckenroth is a senior creative writing major at Susquehanna University. She's obsessed with notebooks, the color yellow, and how memory works.  She has been previously published in RiverCraft, The Blue Route, and The Susquehanna Review.
 
Coming next week: fiction by Rob Rotell

No comments:

Post a Comment