Thursday, April 14, 2011

Drive

poetry by Alex Guarco
I told you I was lost in you,
like I was some one-hit-wonder radio lookalike,
only I
realize now that my misplacement was little more
than a feeling of place,
a feeling I’ve been waiting years to experience,
a knowing of where I was at the time,
a knowing that
there, with you,
was where
I belonged.

I wouldn’t go out and say it was love,
it was just whatever
two 19-year-olds are capable of
on a Wednesday night,
parked too far away from the drive-in screen
to see any the movie.

You know,
I’ve brought other girls to that drive-in,
in the same car,
laid down on the same couple of pillows,
even thrown the same blanket over us
when the second movie started.
The difference is,
no matter how many rows back we were,
with them, I always watched the movie,
and if we touched underneath the blanket,
or if they rolled their head over and smiled to me,
I’d smile back, squeeze their hand a little tighter
because I knew that’s what I was supposed to do.

But with you, when the intermission was over,
I let our bare legs get cold,
not really sure what to do,
like that blanket wasn’t even there.
So I rolled my head towards yours,
and we both
squeezed our hands tighter,
both
knowing that’s what we were supposed to do.

And after
catching each other in the act,
realizing we were too busy knowing and
too far from enjoying,
we got lost,
unsure what to do next, but
it was okay because for the first time
we found life.




Alex Guarco is a sophomore creative writing major at Susquehanna University. He's president of SU Slam Poetry and a member of the Ultimate Frisbee and Club Volleyball teams.  Alex has appeared in Outrageous Fortune, Variance, Tomfoolery Review, and Essay.

Also by Alex Gaurco: 8:30

No comments:

Post a Comment